- A Small Intro
- What Is A Pillar Article?
- Why Write A Pillar Article?
- What Does It Take To Write A Pillar Article?
- How To Write A Pillar Article?
- What’s Your Opinion On Pillar Articles?
A Small Intro
If you are a blogger or a writer, you have inevitably stumbled upon the word ‘pillar article’. If you have not yet, you are not grinding enough, aye! Have you ever wondered or thought about how you can define a pillar article? I bet most of the time you have taken the word for granted and passing over to the next lines. Here is an opportunity to have a discussion, so let us have a talk about pillar articles.
For your info, the definition below comes through my 10yrs+ of blogging experience. Meaning it is definitely not a copy past from places around the web. That also means, it is not perfect. So I challenge you to get in touch with me to help make this article “The perfect article on what is a pillar article” with your valuable contribution (due credit will be given)!
What Is A Pillar Article?
I define a pillar article as an article depicting all of the following:
- Is a lengthy article which clearly, concisely and deeply explains the subject matter.
- Makes you feel that the writer has expertise in what he/she is saying and hence demonstrate an authority. The author knows exactly what he is writing about and will often share his experience or elaborate on different facets.
- The structure of the article consists of:
- an introduction
- a clear, simple definition
- a full-fledged body (with balancing views where applicable & depending on context)
- with credible/solid examples and analogies to help any reader better relate and understand the context
- the author’s recommendation when applicable
- a conclusion
- The content itself is very unique, wonderfully structured, well researched coupled with the author’s own writing styles. (Very much like a balanced diet with an exquisite dessert)
- The article is evergreen – it will still be valuable for the next incoming years and not time sensitive.
Why Write A Pillar Article?
- Writing pillar articles, are very attractive and appealing to bloggers. They are willing to link-back or talk about your article with a happy heart.
- You are not just writing an article for the sake of writing it or for search engines, but you are writing for humans, providing your readers with good, valuable content. Hence you are showing that:
- you value your readership
- you are not wasting the time of your readers
- you are serious with what you are writing
- your article rocks!
- On the whole, a pillar article lures and increases traffic to your website, because you are providing value and useful content.
What Does It Take To Write A Pillar Article?
- (1) Time and energy demanding.
Writing pillar articles is NOT like writing about ‘What John Chow is eating everyday‘ or what ‘Shoemoney is doing at PubCons‘. Obviously, in addition to your own expertise, you will need to make some research. Then you will need to refine and proofread your article to make sure it is of a high standard.
For some it might take hours and hours, for others it takes days and still for some it might even take weeks. But it all depends on your personal skills, passion, experience and maturity. Assuming you have the habit of writing, I think 2hrs is just enough, else I think you need to stop blogging and start writing for Readers Digest!
- (2) Passion and true desire to write.
If you don’t have a free will to write a pillar article, just forget about it. Better not write, than spoiling the article and your credibility.
How To Write A Pillar Article?
I think if you have a passion to write a pillar article, I don’t need to tell you how to do it. It’s like football, if you have passion to play it, you will play your own tunes – like Ronaldinho or Cristiano Ronaldo. But still, keeping in mind that not everyone is an artist, I will briefly give you some hints as follows, but these are not by any means the only approach.
- Choose a topic or subject which you are confident about or which you have had enough experience with.
- Brainstorm ideas without any reading or research.
- Now go make some research if you feel the need (but whatever your skills, research is important to keep you on track).
- Link your ideas + the one you’ve acquired through research.
- Sit down with an inspirational mind, write your article.
- Proofread your article and come back later to make sure everything that you wrote is still making sense and is ready to be ‘published’.
Writing a pillar article is very much like writing a poem or crafting painting (art). Just feel the inspiration and let the spirit guide you to write some wonderful masterpieces.Tweet this!
No wonder, a pillar article is a juicy article with lots of ingredients that make it tasty for readers, though lengthy. It has quality. It is timeless. It has uniqueness. It is not the average Joey’s article.
A pillar article is essentially an article that is convincing and depicts maturity of thought. Irrespective of your blogging reasons and blogging objectives, taking time to write a pillar article, should be in your list of priorities as a blogger - should you aim for the long term benefits. In so doing, remember to always maintain a balance and don’t go too much overboard just “because I need to make it lengthy”.
What’s Your Opinion On Pillar Articles?
Do you agree with what I’ve said? What is your approach to writing a pillar article? I’m sure you might be having some more brilliant ideas on pillar articles!? Don’t let your ideas rot. Put them to good use!